Artist Post: Takeshi Murata

Takeshi Murata is an American artist who specializes in digital media artwork, primarily focusing on animation. A crucial part of his art comes from the fact that both his mother and father were architects, which “has given him an awareness of the spaces around him” since a young age. Animation was a natural step forward for him. Not only does Murata have a talent with video and computer animation, he also uses colors in an incredible way. Melter 2 is a prime example of the way the colors he chooses serve to enhance his work. He has had his work featured in San Francisco and New York. His piece, Monster Movie, is featured in the permanent collection in the Smithsonian American Art Museum in Washington, D.C.!

Well, first of all, I am 100% going to make the fifteen minute drive (excluding traffic, because the only gridlock worse than Congressional Gridlock is the gridlock on the way to and from my house to D.C.) to the American Art Museum over Thanksgiving break to see Murata’s work! Secondly, I really adore his artwork. I’m a huge fan of bright colors and pastels, and he is able to work both in without it being overwhelming on the eyes. He’s got an odd sense of depth and dimension, especially in his more recent stuff. It’s tricky to explain, but when I’m looking at a piece like Condos, it feels like I’m in some weird movie with early CGI technology. As strange as it is, it works very well, and ultimately, that is all that matters!

Melter 2

Monster Movie

Condos

SOURCES:
(1)(2)(3)(4)