Final Project: Hourly Breakdown

I am almost positive this took me much longer than fifteen hours, but I didn’t time myself too closely. Also, the clocks in the studio don’t work, and I thought it was midnight for about 5 hours so that messed me up a little. Anyways, the fifteen hours is broken up below the cut!

I spent this time actually deciding on what I was going to do. I was torn between three ideas that I had!

The second hour is when I finally decided on what I was going to do. I decided that it would be interesting to continue my Flipbook Project and add details to it!

In addition to Arts 104, I’m also taking Arts 105. For that class, we were required to buy an insanely expensive sketchbook that we only used like, twice. I used that insanely expensive sketchbook to storyboard my dinosaurs.

Before I could start actually animating and such, I had to come up with a design for the dinosaurs. I already had the Apatosaurus and Stegosaurus down. And thanks to some helpful YouTube tutorials (which we intended for children, but that’s beside the point), I learned how to draw a Triceratops.

I began to draw my first few frames at around this time. I had about 3 lamps all over my desk to give me enough light to decently trace each frame one by one. Eventually, I realized that I could tape up my papers to the window for EVEN BETTER lighting.

Six hours in, and I remembered that the studio has a light table. I packed up my laptop, papers, markers, and some snacks, and headed over to Melchers at 7pm.

Having the light table and also access to a printer was SO helpful when it came to the explosion bits. Since the animations for that are sort of difficult because of the size increases, it was nice to finally have a system and routine down.

Drawing little teeny tiny pieces of confetti nearly killed me. I really didn’t think it would be that bad, but tracing each individual one over and over was incredibly exhausting.

At this point, my suitemate sent me texts that said “Where r u?!?!” and “Emmy please respond so I know you weren’t kidnapped!” Apparently I forgot to tell her I was leaving, and then I was so focused on finishing the lineart for my animation that I didn’t see the text until an hour later. Sorry Carly!

HOUR 10:
Finally, FINALLY, I finished the lineart and began the decision of what colors I was going to use. I knew I wanted some fun colors, so I chose green, pink, and blue! I tested a bunch of combinations of different shades before deciding upon something I liked. Since color is always crucial to me and I wanted to make things look amazing, this process took a while.

HOUR 11:
I colored the dinosaurs themselves first. I had the most fun with them because of how adorable I drew them!!!

HOUR 12:
While in the middle of coloring in the explosions, MY MARKERS ALMOST RAN OUT OF INK. My stress level was incredible, because the markers I used were nearly discontinued and I didn’t have time to go out and search high and low for them. Luckily, they pulled through. After all the furious and panicked coloring though, they’ve earned a well deserved break from my leisurely coloring books.

HOUR 13:
This was the final stretch of my tangible flipbook animation! I had to color the confetti, which was a pain to trace and even more of a pain to color in. I figured that it would be very cool looking to add some fanciness by using glitter and metallic gel pens. My mom introduced me to the best gel pens I’ve ever used, and I bought a pack intending to give them to her for Christmas, but I used them for this instead. Once I finished, I packed them back up and I’m still going to give them to her for Christmas. Love you, Mom!

HOUR 14:
Finally done with designing and tracing and coloring, I was able to head over to Melchers for the final time (for this project, at least!) and begin scanning. Scanning each piece of paper took much longer than I anticipated. The computer and scanner were both really slow. I also kept getting the Awful Spinning Rainbow Wheel and each time I fell into a spiral of panic. Eventually though, I had scanned everything into the computer and imported it to Photoshop successfully!


HOUR 15:
THE HOME STRETCH. THE FINAL COUNTDOWN. SO CLOSE I COULD TASTE IT! I spent my last hour navigating Photoshop on the studio computers, because it is much different than the version of Photoshop I have on my laptop. After about 20 minutes of clicking and being too stubborn to Google it, I figured out how to turn all my frames into an animated .GIF. Once that was done, I played around with the duration until it flowed smoothly. My very last step was Saving For Web. I thought that would take the least amount of time, but I created a huge file, so it took a while to save. Whoops.

Overall, this project was exhausting, but I’m slowly starting to enjoy animation and the routine of it. That being said, please enjoy more pictures I took at moments when I really was not enjoying this process, and also some others I took throughout:

Melchers is beautiful when I’m not stressing about a project

Very tired, don’t even care that I resemble a turnip

I asked for name suggestions for the dinosaurs and my friends were unhelpful

Shoutout to the Ceramics Studio for never ever being locked!!!

A stress zit appeared and I was in awe of the shear size of it

It didn’t even cross my mind that I was totally wrong

I don’t know how Snapchat came to this conclusion, honestly

This is the view I was greeted with as I left the studio right at sunset. It made my miserable self feel much better.

Stressed, depressed, still really exhausted

ohhh myyyy gooooooooood whhhhyyyyyyyy